Wednesday 25 March 2009

Big blunder but surely its not too late?

A blunder happening on a large scale can often cost thousands to put right but when there's plenty of time to correct the error you wonder why someone doesn't grab the bull by its proverbial horns thereby saving us poor tax payers an even heavier burden.

A brilliant Bonkerdom came from the District Council governing the area where I own a bungalow. Council tax is paid by my tenant and I receive an annual bill from the council informing me I owe nothing. That's fine - it's good to know they're on the ball and not attempting to charge both myself and my tenant.

But here's the Bonkerdom:
A printed note attached to the bill tells me that 'an incorrect Bill has already been printed and is awaiting dispatch... you may ignore the bill which may reach you in the next week or 2'.

Now am I missing something here? Assuming this is not just my bill and effects many if not all other council tax payers in the area; the printing cost has already been incurred but if all these documents are somewhere in the system can't someone stop them from going out thereby saving us all a small fortune in labour and postage costs, not to mention the confusion and panic-stricken phone calls that will ultimately ensue when the second bill arrives on our doormats?

OK - given that it's probably not as simple as wandering down a flight of steps in the bosom of the council offices and pressing the big red button on the machine that's about to post the bills out you'd think that someone, somewhere would have the initiative to pick up the phone and call the sub-contractors to tell them to stop!

Why not? Is that too simple?

Does a meeting have to be convened in order to discuss the ramifications of such action? Maybe it does and they can't get everyone together for 3 weeks!

I don't know - I just don't know. There has to be a simple reason why thousands of our Great British Pounds can't be stopped from falling into that huge Council abyss!

Sitting where I'm sitting and being blessed with just a small amount of common sense I'm afraid I can't see it!

It's bonkers and yes;- it has to go down as a classic Bonkerdom!

1 comment:

TheBizOasis said...

Hi
I think bonkerdom is pretty much universal! After losing my main income source through unemployment I had to call the credit card company to arrange reduced payments. All went well for a couple of weeks, then the calls started. Eventually, I got through to someone who seemed to have a modicum of common sense, and thought that was that, but NOOO!Another call, asking why I was 1 month behind with my payment (I wasn't). I explained - again, what I had told the last person. Having gone through the whole story yet again. Finally she said she'd found the original but couldn't stop anyone else calling! I asked why ever not, and she said 'Oh, that's automatic'! I'm beginning to wonder if they're all robots set to call on auto. I mean, why could she not just put into the system, yet again, that it had been sorted out? Definitely bonkers..